Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Thoughtful Tuesday

Hellooooooooooo : )
It certainly has been a wonderful past couple of days/weeks.
Got to see a friend, Lanie, I had not seen in a few years. And per usual she is in great spirits. During the space of time we were out of contact she had her thyroid removed and her health is much better.
Words are such a beautiful medium to communicate with others. Just think if we were unable to communicate verbally. The lyrics that we listen to in romantic love ballads, inspirational songs by the likes of Buffy Saint Marie, Joan Baez, Joanie Mitchell, Bob Dylan etc., the songs that make us Happy, songs that bring tears to our eyes, songs that make us remember being a little girl {mine is How Much is That Doggie in the Window by Patti Page from 1953 (I was 3 or 4) I am not sure when I first recognized the song but one of my sister's had it on a 33 1/3 album. It was a treat to be able to listen to it}

There is so much we can share, give, understand and just plain old communicate with words. Written, spoken, sung and using sign language. We are so fortunate!!!
My word for Tuesday is TERRIFIC.
I know, everyone knows terrific means super, great and wonderful. Very good or fine; splendid; Awesome; astounding and I am sure there are many more superlatives you can think of to add. When I was a teenager I had a love affair with the roots of words; where they originated, what language and when.
Hence, when I looked up the word terrific I almost choked.
Latin terrificus : terrre to frighten + -ficus, -fic.
Causing terror or great fear; terrifying: a terrific wail.
Very bad or unpleasant; frightful: a terrific headache.
It is amazing to me that a word is able to express super fantastic and fear.
What do you think?
peace
carole

5 comments:

  1. Terrific is a wonderful word for the day! And you are right, it is a true gift to be able to communicate in words! Even our cat likes to talk!!!

    Have a wonderful night!

    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... English can be an odd language full of oxymorons so I think I'm not too surprised. Good discovery on your part though. However, I am surprised that Patti Page was singing that song. I always thought it was Doris Day! I learned something new today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole, You are just such a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for all your info.
    I had no idea about the word terrific. How odd our language can be.
    Oh I love the song "How much is that doggie in the window".. It brings back such happy memories for me! As a small child of 4 or 5 I sang it over & over again..
    Have a terrific (good) day!
    ~Mary~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the sweet comment Carole! BTW I love Patti Page! See you soon for more crafting adventures!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can see where terrific and terror are related. I never really thought of it that way tho.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete