Monday, May 25, 2009

The word BUTTINSKY

I was just sitting here, actually, a short while ago and thought about the word:
BUTTINSKY .
Clink on the link above and the audio web site comes up and gives a decent explanation.
I think and was wondering why do people you do not know want to control what you do?
Has that ever happened to you?
It happened to me and I was rather surprised, to say the least.
I like words; I enjoy finding out where they originate; you know, the root and the definitions. Yes, I have incorrectly used words and mis-pronounced them. This does not bother me as I will ask how to correctly enunciate it : )
When I was little to was very difficult for me to correctly say hippopotamus : ) It is a neat word and yes, I finally broke the barrier and can correctly enunciate it now.
Malaika, as a little girl said bizschetti for spaghetti : )
I still cannot enunciate ephemera correctly and thankfully I am around Nancy over at Gilding the Lily and I can {and do} ask her every time how to say it : )
This is another piece of having friends that you can totally be yourself when you are yourself : )
Like, I do NOT feel dumb because I am unable to roll ephemera off my tongue : )
G'Day to all : )
carole


2 comments:

  1. Hi Carole - I think it's wonderful that you have such a curiousity about words (and many other things as evidenced by your earlier posts). Just remember, a comment by a "buttinsky" only says something about that person, not you! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often heard "buttinsky" used in my family when I was younger. It did mean "nosey" but was used in a sort of joking fashion - i.e. if Mom came home with a fancy box the day or two before my birthday and I said "What's in that box" She would laugh and say "Don't be a buttinsky".

    Darla

    ReplyDelete